Originally Posted By csk
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Airgrabber
How do you like either the 4-speed Overdrives or 5-speeds that are available for our cars today? Comments on either transmission appreciated.

I've done the most popular OD installs, Gear Vendors, 518's, T5's TKO's and T56, along with R700, and other AOD4's

If your considering an automatic OD, the Silver Sport Transmission AOD4 kit is truly a bolt in kit, no floor mods, but expensive for most, but worth every penny invested

5 spds in the TKO 500/600 range are available from several sources like Silver Sport and American Power Train, either will require floor mods of some sort to achieve proper drive line angles, you have to weigh each kit mfg's package/price to see which you favor...

IMHO, 5 spds are a nice upgrade, but rather "old school" nowadays, T56 6 spds are truly the way to go, Silver Sport is leading the market with kit applications should you decide to go this route

As for the low dollar 518, Gear Vendors, etc swaps, they are just that, low dollar swaps, functional yes, but not truly desirable if a deep OD ratio is your goal, as most only offer a .80-.70 OD at best, a TKO 5 spd can go as low as .64 OD, and a T56 can drop even further into the .50 range

I have owned and still have an 833 4spd vehicle, and quite frankly would never want to drive any 4 manual after having 5/6 spd equipped vehicles over the last decade+...even a 3 spd automatic feels antiquated and dogged in this day and age

Mike

A518 has a .69 OD

I was generalizing the OD range mentioned above regarding some of the other OD offerings, Yes you are correct, the 500/518 are both .69 OD, and are good candidates for mild horsepower applications, but the OD feature is not of sound engineering and prone to operating issues and eventual failure, more so in high performance applications, I generally like to install a transmission once, with the exception of clutch/TOB changes being acceptable repair practice