So far, and I know this is how to jynx yourself, I have been fortunate enough not to have to go back into any of my engines in a short length of time other than an intake gasket I cant seem to get right on the AAR for whatever reason. I drive my stuff all over the east coast so I'm either confidence in builds or ignorance is bliss as they say (I also carry AAA Premium and have friends in most state I travel in). People/racers/builders use used stuff all the time, I'm not necessarily making an argument for it I'm just saying you cant through the baby out with the bath water. I have opening up a many a engine to inspect it and came out with only new gaskets, some maybe just got rings, bearings and gaskets and I'm not alone in it. I believe you recently suffered a failure on an engine, my bet is you aren't gonna replace the pistons if they inspect good, so you are going to build/reassemble an engine with used pistons.

As for pulling engines being fun, it's all fun to some and even though no one really enjoys doing anything on a car twice, I'm gonna tinker on something for several hours most any given day when I'm home so it don't bug me. I really have to but admittedly I've taken some chances that haven't worked out but rarely have I had a failure when I paid attention and truly inspected an item. It helps that I do it all myself and it will only cost me time if I miss my guess. I enjoy building junkyard cars as much if not more than full restoration, I only have $2000 in my 69 RT and drove it to PA and back last year with minimal drama, it's an absolute hoot to drive.

I guess point it, old parts can be fine if thoroughly inspected and really present no more risk than a new part, at least the old part was made in America at a time when there was some thought given to quality. twocents

Careful, your character's showing!