Originally Posted By dannysbee
It was 1976 and my job kept me out of town Monday through Friday. I had bought a 1970 442 w30 with spun bearings for my wife's driver. Needless to say it took me several weekends to get it fixed and back together. We were planning a trip to the car craft street machine nationials and we intended to take the Olds as my driver was a Swinger with a 4 speed and 3.91 gear with our other car being an A12 bee. Neither one being a particularly good road car I feverishly worked on the Olds to get it ready for the deadline. I fired it up Sunday night the week before we needed to leave and it ran good and the cam broke in fine but oil pressure was low. I had installed a new oil pump and there had been two relief springs in the box with it. I had read the instructions and decided on the one spring. I was wrong, so here we were needing to leave on Friday and I'm going out of town on Monday. All week my head is spinning trying to figure out what to do. I finally decide if we get home at a reasonable time on Friday i will pull the pan if possible and change the spring. My Olds buddy says it will fix it. So on Friday at 6.00 in the afternoon I tackle it. After doing everything possible except pulling the engine, at 3:00 in the morning I fired it and oil pressure was great. I cleaned up, loaded the car and we were Tulsa bound. Adrenaline wore off in about 50 miles so the wife took over. I gave her instructions to watch the oil pressure and the temperature and I ameditely fell asleep. She woke me outside Oklahoma city needing directions. I woke up and looked at the speedometer and it was setting on 90. I said your running 90? She said yea she had to slow down as she was coming into Oklahoma City. Must have not hurt it as we drove the wheels off it for a couple years and I gave it to my brother when we got a new car.

I bought a 70 442 w-30 4 speed when I came home from
Nam.. was a real quick car with a little work... it
was right out of the GM tech center that some hot
shot owned
EDIT
was a real early build.. still had the vent windows
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 11/27/16 03:04 PM.