In the middle photo above, you show a pic of the new front end installed.

My '33 has an older Heidt's IFS, very similar to the Fatman unit I rather imagine.

As far as I know, my car was built back in Ontario about 30 years ago. The body seems to be not too bad, but when I started digging in to the mechanical side of things all hell broke loose.

One thing that I should mention is the installation of the Heidt's in mine was definitely not done properly. The instructions (which I looked up) clearly state that the holes in the front of the original frame should be filled in with 11 gauge steel. And then on top of that a 3/16" plate needs to be fabricated and welded in to place.

Unfortunately, neither of these items were attended to and the results were terrible.

We have removed everything from the car now, body is off, and we are correcting all the issues.

Where the Heidt's was welded in, there were several cracks in the frame up to 8" long. The reason for these cracks is that the two opposing frame sides were able to bend in towards each other every time the car hit a bump.

I'm quite sure that as long as your frame has something strong where the IFS is mounted, that there should be no bending. It's hard to see whether or not you have filled in any of the original holes in the frame or not (I'm only using a small laptop). But if you haven't, then there needs to be some sort of steel tube that will prevent the frame twist up front. We couldn't believe how much damage to the frame there was when we started taking things apart.

Last edited by cocobolo; 11/26/16 01:06 AM. Reason: Spellcheck!!!???