Seriously, my children are both responsible for the current results. My son instigated the whole process when he told me about the 96 Dakota that was listed on Facebook (something I don't do). He told me about the deal, shortly after it was first posted, and I ask him to respond. He had the guy call me the next day, and I went and looked at the truck that night. While I was talking with the guy, he told me about also selling the Ram, which I also looked at. He hinted that "if I wanted both, he would cut me a deal", but my bank account told me that was a no go. I had just written a check for fixing my wife's PT (which would have paid for the Ram). By the way, my son is also responsible for the 47 Dodge being here! When we saw it at Jefferson a couple years ago, I didn't have enough cash to buy it, but he did. I remember a time when I always had cash on hand too, but not these days.

When my daughter found out I was looking at a Dakota, she told me about the 91, which she was thinking about for parts for her son's Dakota. (I raised my kids up well). I looked at the 91 Dakota the same night as I looked at the 96 and the Ram. With both of us needing different parts off the same truck, the buy was a great deal for both of us. This 91 has a 7 1/4 rear end, and I believe the cross shaft that holds the spider gears has come out of the carrier. My parts 91 has a good 8 1/4 rear end.

Yesterday I bought the 96 Dakota and have the chance to buy the Ram for the discounted price, at a later date. Tonight my daughter and I bought the 91 Dakota (actually she bought it and I will pay her for my share). The 91 will likely be towed here sometime tomorrow, and there is a chance the 96 will arrive this weekend or next. When both trucks are here, that will give me a total of 4 Dakota sitting here, plus my coupe. I have my 93 Dakota 4x4, I have a wrecked 91 that I bought for the motor in my coupe, (the parts my grandson needs for his truck were damaged in the wreck of the parts Dakota that is already here) and the two new additions. Funny thing is, 3 of the 4 are red with red guts, only the 91 I pulled the motor out of is not red.

I will review my plans when both "new" Dakotas are here. That 96 looks like it could be a pretty nice truck, we will see how it cleans up, might fix it and send it down the road to help fund the 47 build.

My coupe is fun to drive with the V6 and the 5 speed, but my wife won't drive it. Sometimes my wife needs to drive my 4x4, which has an automatic trans. We only have her PT, my 4x4, and the coupe. She doesn't drive a stick well, and doesn't like to drive a stick at all.

The 47 will replace the 4x4, so really needs to be an automatic. Both the "new" Dakotas are 5 speeds, hence the interest in the Ram, 5.9 Magnum with an auto. We really don't need a 4x4 anymore, and my 4x4 has the V6, auto, and its OK to drive, but not near as much fun or as inspiring as the V6 5 speed. I wouldn't be opposed to a V8 auto in the 47, it probably won't get driven enough the bigger motor will make much difference in our monthly driving expenses. Gene