one thing i was not clear on, or didn't quite qualify with an articulate example, was a parts break down. this is where the "gained knowledge" comes into play. first off, rods are a prime example. obviously, the knowledge is here today that rehabbing a set of factory rods is foolish. same as a set of cylinder heads. monte mentioned cams, lifters, and rockers are what they are and today's offerings are the way to go. what i had in mind was stepping into what another was upgrading, be it a different set of heads, [example would be to B1's from a set of stealths] aluminum rods from newer h-beams, or a different intake system. i am sure by now with my extensive machinist back ground i would be able to measure and know what to look for as far as defects are concerned, plus know what other inspections would be needed as well as investigate the part involved to get a glimpse of the opinion[s] of the reliability and quality of the item in question by those that have used such parts themselves. home work will be the key, as well as meticulous inspection and assembly techniques. possibly the best plan of attack is the "plan" itself. as was mentioned, it's all in the combination. you don't buy an .800 lift cam and use heavy duty MP stamped steel lifters on stealth heads with an 8.5cr short block capped with 2 1/4" headers just because you got a screamin' deal on the part's cost[s]. a guy like me just has to be patient and wait for the right thing to come along for the intended purpose. possibly a complete [but very reasonable] short block will be my way to go, with a set of newer heads that need a slight freshening. who knows what will come along when i an ready for that part of the project. but knowledge and scrupulous inspection will definitely be in the mix. to be continued........
beer