Originally Posted By parksr5
In some recent posts, a lot of our long time racers have been reminiscing about their 70's, 80's, ext combinations. I really find the old combos interesting and impressive and it always makes me think, what if some of you guys who are still doing this today could essentially recreate your motors from years past with a few new parts; what would the combination be?

For example, still use ported 906 heads or 440 Source heads at the max. TRW pistons or a modern day equivalent, still use a flat tappet cam, maybe the lowest cost cast steel or equivalent rod (scat or something along those lines or would you still trust 40+ year old re-conned rods?), any intake available today and any carb available today. If you guys could wring high nines out of these things in the 70’s or 80's, what could you do today with a similar combo but, with new cam, intake and carb tech and the additional knowledge of 30+ years?

Nothing 30 - 40 years ago is relevant in todays racing scene - including parts ( quality and availability ), technology, and most of all $. Those that are going fast today ( a relative term ) are certainly not using anything from that era although the cars my look that way from the outside. Unlike years ago, you better go in with a realistic financial plan - whether it is building for a particular class or ET. If you want to build to be competitive for a particular class, you better be prepared to spend lots of $. Those with lots of $ and technology have driven it that way. Still want to use those 906 heads, build for a ET range and run the brackets. again, you need a plan going in and you need to stick to it. There will always be someone in the other lane that will be faster than you with those new mega $ heads. You don't have to have the latest and most expensive stuff to have fun in this hobby - and it is a hobby for most of us.

Fastest 300