Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By parksr5
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
We used some stuff then, because we HAD to. Today, I wouldn't waste the time to grind on a set of 906s. I also didn't use those heavy azz TRW slugs then and wouldn't now. Also cam technology is better these days as is everything else...........So to answer the question I suppose, no, I wouldn't build it today like I did then. I see no reason to. Embrace whats available, don't be lost in the past

Oh, I completely know what you’re saying.

Let me try to come at this from a different angle. Lets say there is an engine masters competition where the perimeters include using a stock 440 block that was no more than 30-60 over but could be modified in any other way, any shelf piston available today can be used, 906 or Stage V heads are mandatory but, you can mill, port or modify them however you choose, any modern intake, carb and flat tappet cam can be used and modified however you’d like. A lower cost replacement rod or factory re-conned rod must be used. Any header can be used. Ductile Iron Rockers must be used. No strokers are allowed. What would your combo be?

So, essentially where staying within the same confines of the 60's and 70's but, with new tech and an additional 30-40 some odd years of wisdom.
Well a combo like that wouldn't interest me in the least, but if I HAD to build that, I would grind the crank pin to chevy size, find the shortest compression height piston I could and get a longer rod in it, with a modern ring package. Get the bobweight as light as I could. Deck the block as much as possible and not sacrifice deck strength. Ported and rolled over Stage V heads. If I could have a tunnel ram, I would run one with two custom carbs with 850 size base plates. Having to run a flat tappet would kill me, as I have never been a flat tappet guy, but obviously a modern lobe on a larger core if I could get it in the block. LS Chevy firing order. Probably 2.25 headers with a nice merge collector

I see what you are asking.......and that is stock block, stock stroke, stock length rod, stock compression height, stock style head........ what would you build to make power. My answer or question would be, why limit yourself to those parameters when it could be done so much better, for little to no more money.

Now I don't know what that motor I had back then made for power, but it was enough to push a 3000lb car in the high 9s. Those heads were done by Racing Head Service and there would be SOME power in modern porting, but not much, because the head(906) just is what it is. It also had the .500 lobe roller in it and there would be some in a modern cam. But those changes wouldn't make a HUGE change in power. That motor back then was done right and one I did now would be right, but you will still be limited because of the head castings.

But the sad thing and this was the point John was alluding to, is lots of guys have WAY better parts now and surely access to way better parts than we had back then, but they don't run any better now than we did then. That is the part that is hard to imagine. Just the tire, suspension, track, converter technology should be enough to really increase performance, but it hasn't. And it is truly hard to understand why

Thank you for the post!

So, you mentioned that it could be done better for little to no more money. I guess I would ask how better heads, stroker kit, ext could be had for just a little more than the cost of home ported heads that can be had for free in some instances (just the head cores), a machined original block and original forged crank that may need turned and or polished and some cheaper optioned rods and shelf pistons?

I'm serious too; just trying to soak in the info. Again, I find this very interesting given the experience of some on the board.