Originally Posted By cjskotni
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I worked in service station as a kid out of high school, the old time mechanics would warn me to never fill a differintial to the plug level when cold, we would fill it so it was about a inch down from the plug cold. I have service many vechicles with hot engine oils, rear ends and trannys, all of them would dump rear end lube out when hot work
My message is don't fill it up cold tsk I use a thin small screwdriver or something similar to check the fluid levels now, I use to use my pinkie finger but that gets old wiping the goo off of your fingers shruggy

This makes sense. The odd thing is that while I did top it off cold, I also checked it this time while it was cold as well. It was a hot day but the car hadn't been driven in several days...

Since there was some oil coming from the axle vent, I am guessing it can't be too clogged. The little crimped cap on it moves around freely.

I had an 01 Chevy PU I purchased new.. ( miss that truck) When doing the first service on it the rear fluid was supposed to be 1 inch below the fill plug, per the service manual... Thought this was odd, but it makes sense after reading this post....