Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Probably not a popular opinion......BUT, if your motor won't run without what is considered extremely large amounts of spark lead, something in the combo is grossly inefficient.

Don't care whos motor made what, with how much timing. When there are motors with good heads and the right cam profile that make best power at around 30*......if yours needs 40*, it's NOT an efficient motor. If you have an inherently inefficient head design, there ARE cam profiles to help it.

And NO, timing is not just a number. It's a relative gauge of the engines efficiency.

In the OPs case......he has a 60s or 70s at best camshaft profile, with a modern head. Of course it's not an ideal combo

Its a 78 block .030 over with speedpro piston .005 inthe hole. With the timing gear lined up dot to dot, I checked the centerline on the cam and the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust lifters. Everything matched up with the cam card. I left it there instead of advancing the cam.
The eddyheads have been gone through by Best Machine, and the MP .557 cam although and old design, plenty of people running them here making power. First run off the trailer the car ran a 12.60 @ 103 mph. Timing at 36. Jetting up on the next pass got me a 12.53 @ 105. Now at 40 degrees I ran a 12.20 @ 109.