Originally Posted By Grizzly
Originally Posted By Mebsuta
If you have ever switched to lighter wheels, without making any other changes such as tire size or gears, did you notice any difference on the butt dyno?

I don't do any racing; just drive around on the street, but if lighter wheels would make it quicker and stop better, I would try them. Thanks.

Yes.

I took my heavy stock steel wheels off and put Weld Draglites on. The Welds were so light you could flip them around with one hand like they were cardboard.

And, to answer your question, in my case it did not make a lick of difference in day to day use.

Damn. Maybe some ov us are just more sensitive than others... I went from 15x7" (28lbs) cop rims to 15x7" Weld Drag Stars (13lbs). Tires might have been +/- 1-2lbs, not much, dont even remember which way. The difference was drastic. So much so i drove on those Welds... against the advice ov many friends... until i bent two ov them. That was just in daily driving (hard driving... but no curbs or bumps). LIGHT rims... but flimsy as hell. Gonna go with 19lb 8"'s on my Challenger instead ov the 26lb 8" steelies and caps, and yeah, i expect it to make a noticeable difference.

Another interesting anecdote... We swapped rollers on the girlfriend's 96GT from the stock 46lb 8" rims and 245's to cheapo (read solid, but HEAVY) E-bay 18x10's and 275/295's. They were 57/59lbs. The car slowed noticeably. Yes, the added width was worth a bit there i'm sure, but not all. The strangest thing was, that even now we had a nice open wheel... with LOTS ov airflow... we could not keep rotors on that car. In 4 years we went through 3 sets ov rotors... and the second set were 'the best' you can buy at the local shop. All that added grip really laid a taxin' on them poor little rotors. Did not expect that. My own 96GT (same stock rollers) never even got a brake job in the 3 years and 30K i owned it, and that was with much harder driving.