Originally Posted By moparx
Originally Posted By jcc

I would think 8-9lbs per wheel in rotating weight would be noticeable, and especially on the CF angle. I always wondered why city buses don't have Alum wheels (6?), since they start and stop nearly every block, for their entire life cycle and alum wheels them saves 40+? lbs per wheel, but fire trucks have them and they maybe move twice a day?

fire trucks have aluminum wheels because firemen like them shiny [not that there is anything wrong with that]. city buses have steel wheels because they run into, and over, all kinds of stuff that would trash aluminum wheels in quick order. plus, i believe steel wheels are cheaper than aluminum and don't require constant polishing that will save the city big bucks in their yearly budget. garbage trucks are steel wheels for the same reason and i would hazard to guess they start and stop way more frequently than city buses.
beer

1. Any CDL driver that has any record of running over stuff on any regular basis would promptly be dismissed/transferred, and if indeed that was the case, a $400? tire plus labor would be the first casualty, and I don't think the record would support that thesis.
2. Class 8 OTR and others have a long history with billions? of miles and alum wheels have no greater known failure rate then steel ( they are forged 2024 aircraft alum).
3. Alum wheels don't require any polishing, don't require any rust protection, and are fine with only the normal wash cycle maintenance.
4. The taxpayer who subsidizes the city buses on their fuel guzzling, every block starting and stopping, would be very rewarded in the 200?lb rotating weight reduction, both in fuel and brake tire wear costs on each vehicle, if the city buses swapped their steel wheels with the over budgeted first responder fire departments, and let the fire depart when not fighting fires, visit the bus depot and polish their new alum wheels. grin

Edit, went to check my sources, looks like Alcoa, a leader in alum truck wheels has changed over Aircraft 2024 to 6061 forged wheels, likely for cost and better corrosion resistance, not sure it matters much, as the track record is still solid.

Last edited by jcc; 04/09/16 11:39 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.