I'm sure most would say no to this, but I don't usually follow the pack any way. cool
I got myself an oxy-acetylene out fit. The big guy on a cart, not the little hobby kit unit. I seem to recall getting in it for about $400.00. Several years ago now. Consumables are always a cost but I don't think this is any worse or better than anything else. I can do much more than weld with it. Don't need electricity to use it. That makes it very versatile for me.
For the cost I figured I'd go old school. Used to be the standard a hundred years ago. whistling Cutting has come in very handy as I strip cars and sell off parts. Metal is very easy to form to odd shapes when it is red hot and pliable. As for welding. I have read a bit and it seems I can weld some pretty hefty stuff once I get better at technique and metallurgy. I just need the proper size tips and sticks. Practice practice practice. up
So far I do fairly well with sheet metal and mild steel like muffler pipe. I have done some practice on heavier stuff like brackets on frames. It works, I just need more practice. The fact I scrap cars gives me plenty to practice on. Unit body frames are rather mild compared to body on frame but the fire knife will get it done on either.
Practice practice practice. up I hear it's even good practice for tig. shruggy

I have mechanical Aptitude.
I can screw up anything.