Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Originally Posted By astjp2
I would just get a junkyard 60, have Dutchman narrow it and provide shafts, use the torino ends, explorer brake kit from a jeep place, find a set of true Spicer 3.54 gears, diff of your choice (prefer power lok) and put it together, should cost about $1200 plus your labor. Tim
I have considered this to, have one in the backyard, but those truck axles have 3/8" wall tube, or thicker, and after you buy ends $100, pay to have them put on $2-250, have it cleaned and painted $40? An S60 housing with billet side adjusters and choice of ends at $665 is pretty attractive.

Mine was 1/2" wall tube, a bare narrow housing was 68#, shipped by Dutchman in a cardboard box. Narrowing was $400 with the torino ends. The shafts are about the same price from most vendors. Brakes were $150 and I got the calipers from a salvage yard for $40. I also put in a 10.5" ring gear and a rebuilt power lock. I spent about 6 months collecting parts and building it. If you want instant gratification, do the strange, if you like to build...Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!