Originally Posted By challenger70
Originally Posted By Jerry
you don't need the holding capacity of the dana. the dana was used in drag racing because of slicks. you could probably stick a 7 1/4 in there for the turns and you'd be fine.

cons -

cost
weight
ratios
not easy to switch gears
less availability of parts

I know I am just thinking if I am going to dump 2k into redoing an 8.75 I minds well spend 3 and have a brand new bulletproof Dana with disks brakes, powdercoated, ready to rock n' roll. I am on the list for the Passon 5 speed, so i think that with 3.54's in the Dana would be a nice livable on the street choice. This car will be 95% messing around on the street and occasional open track day type deal. I also like the idea of being able to throw slicks/drag radials on it and doing drag racing too. It would be 1 less thing to worry about down the road if I add big power too.

I have to agree with Jerry. My 742- 8¾" has been through a lot in the last 6 years with no failures. 3.23 gears and stock axles pushing almost 600HP. Now I have only had drag radials on the car once and it mostly track driven. There is a lot to making these last, oils, axle play, etc. I have a grand total of $350 into mine......

1968 Pro-Touring Dodge Charger
*2011 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Invitee
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html