Originally Posted By dvw
I've seen some "unported" stock eliminators heads, "stock" cams and "stock" transmissions. Not to take anything away from Stocker guys. Some of the most innovative and resource racers on the planet. But the cars don't run like they do with factory untouched head castings a NAPA valve job and a fresh interstate rebuild transmission. Not cheap to be a record holder in a highly contested class.
Doug

My argument for all of that is how much could you possibly cheat one of these motors up?
It's not like you can just install pop up pistons, a stroker crank and a roller cam.
They still have to use the specified valve lift, have a short enough duration so that there isn't any valve to piston issues(you can't fly cut the pistons, and there can't be any witness marks from the valves touching them) stock manifold, stock stroke and heads that at least aren't visibly ported, and have to be under the specified port volume, and the car has to weigh the correct amount and gets weighed every pass. Along with running the correct style and size carburetor.
The fact is, the motors don't make as much power as most people think they do, and how well the car works is a major factor in how well these cars ET.

The motor in my friends car is a 406ci Pontiac with a .421 lift hyd cam, q-jet on the stock intake, and heads that flow 220 @ .420 lift, with a max of 162cc runner volume.
How much power do you really think you're going to make with that?
Well, we made 495hp out of it.

Oh and btw...... It's a multi-time record holder wink