Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Originally Posted By GTX MATT
Thumper RA Tech sells pinion depth checkers that are less than 300 bucks, they sit between on the pinion head and you measure against the carrier bores a certain way to check depth, using the depth indicator on a pair of veneer calipers.

I just bought one to use on my 8 3/4. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but will give you a good start, then adjust based on the pattern. People with the high dollar mics say they often need to adjust based on the pattern anyway, as the depth from the manufacturer isn't quite perfect. You can buy the tool on summit and they're application specific. Reviews on them have been pretty good.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rat-10007/overview/

You said $300 bucks that thing`s 25 and change and if it helps, it may be a new tool in my box......... thumbs

Sorry Thump it was a typo, I meant $30.

I set my last one up guessing and checking, which gets a little annoying to keep setting the backlash precisely the same. I figured this should ball park me closer to start like I said. Especially doing it for the first time, it gets a little fuzzy with depth vs backlash and what it does to the pattern when you start really far off.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 02/05/16 03:38 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street