Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By 72Swinger
I think housing flex is the reason for cap breakage in a lot of cases.
What's your theory on why that is? How does housing flex, let the pinion move away from ring gear?
Im not arguing your point Monte about the case having flex. But I have experienced caps breaking in an old 4spd truck I had with a 489 from doing Ronnie Sox impressions and the ring and pinion was still useable. I agree with Cass, I pointed my finger at housing flex in that case. Severe housing flex turns the axles into prybars against carrier and pops the caps.
Nor am I arguing yours. Just wanted to hear your take as to why. Not sure I agree, but wanted to hear the opinion.

As to the inherit "weakness" of the 8.75, you will never totally "fix it", because you simply can't make it beefy enough around the pinion to totally cure the problem. Make it better?.....sure, fix it......No. With a drop out center, if you don't support the end of the pinion, ala 9" Ford, it will never be fixed. Mopar knew this and is the sole reason the DANA was pegged for their more powerful cars. They had the option of going aftermarket or totally redesigning an in house drop out style rear.

A Ford is the best choice for a hi-po drop out. Not because it's a Ford, not because it's cheap, nor because it has the best aftermarket support. It's because it was the BEST design for a drop out and hence the aftermarket recognized and supported this fact. Racers as a whole prefer a drop out, for changeability and ease of service. So you make parts for the one that has the best design.

Purists claim that nothing in an aftermarket Ford is a Ford. Parts wise, it may not be, but the DESIGN is and that's what counts.

I don't begrudge anyone for wanting an 8.75 in their Mopar, nor their willingness to spend lots of money on it to try and make it live. It's just a personal thing with me to invest money in something that can't truly be fixed, only a better bandaid placed on it. But everyone is not wired that way.

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 01/29/16 06:35 PM.