Alright, think I got a plan sort of nailed down.

Spoke at length with Tim @ Hughes today to discuss cams. I told him I didn't really want a Whiplash and said I was looking at some of the low duration hydraulic cams. This is the one he suggested:

HUG SEH1620BL-12

BB HYD FLAT TAPPET CAM 216/220 -112ÂșLSA

LOBE LIFT .330"/.335"

It gets installed @ 108. Smooth idle, high vacuum, up to 3.55 gear. He didn't think the ones under this would be worthwhile and I tend to agree. I don't want a milquetoast truck.

I asked about making it a single pattern, he didn't think it was worth the minimal expense with my combo. He said the little extra exhaust duration would help with clearing the cylinder.

We talked about heads at a few points, I told him I was considering a set of Stealth heads. He did not seem to think they would add much save for having them in place for future upgrades. Of course the smaller chambers will help but I will likely still be under 9.0 C.R. with the stock pistons.

My reasons for changing them out are more related to not wanting to deal with 40 year old, lo-po iron heads. I would need to replace the springs with the new cam, which I suppose I could do with the heads on but why? I still have a valve tick - no idea what it is but I will assume the worst which means to fix the problem the head will most likely have to come off. If I am taking them off, they are not going back on, especially if I have to spend money on them. So assuming they need some amount of work, it's kind of a no-brainer to go with the Stealths. The springs on the 440 Source heads are compatible with the cam I am looking at so I even 'save' a few bucks not having to buy springs with the cam.

We also talked a little about the intake. I would like to change out the Performer RPM for a regular Performer. He concurred that theoretically the shorter runner will help with velocity to fill the cylinder quicker but I wouldn't really notice any difference over the RPM. If I can find one relatively cheap I will grab it. I actually want it more for the spread bore opening and the choke well so I can run one of my Thermoquads.

I think I am going to go through with the plan as is and wait on the trans for now. IMO it would be prudent to wait on it and see what the other changes do. Swapping in a whole top end is a decent job, should satisfy the need to tinker for a while. Plus, there's always the potential for something to go wrong. Taking the trans out multiplies that tenfold.

Besides, a trans swap is really expensive no matter how you slice it. It is something I want to do though but perhaps just not at this very instant.

Will update when things start coming together.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500