Originally Posted By RMCHRGR
Originally Posted By kenworth_goose
I personally believe vacuum secondary's are for lighter vehicles. If you have one on a truck I believe it will run poor. You need a good DP carb and I'd be going up in jets to start. I believe your truck runs bad because it's starved for fuel. My 10 to 1 360 with a 509 and a 750 DP didn't run very good until I started increasing the jets and squirters. I can't remember what they were but they were far from stock and every time I went bigger it e brake-specific fuel consumption would be prerun better and better.

I agree to an extent that some combos need more fuel than they are supplied with if things are matched properly but no way with my junk. In my opinion, a double pumper would just be dumping fuel with no real benefit.

Comparing your 10:1 small block to my 400 is not apples-to-apples either. My 400 is probably like 8:1 if I'm lucky, probably more like 7.5:1. The lack of compression in this motor is probably the biggest contributor to poor performance here, not the carb. It's why the cam was/is such a poor choice. So if that's the case, (which it is) why then would you think it needs more fuel?

Regarding vacuum secondaries, they work fine if you take the time to tune them. Case in point; under normal driving conditions, the secondaries hardly open, there is not enough signal to pull them open at lower rpms where the truck usually operates.

When I first got it a few months ago, it had a bad hesitation under any sort of load, like when I had to give it some gas going up a hill, the thing would buck like a bronco. It was because the secondaries were being opened too soon by a light secondary spring without enough signal from the motor.

The truck came with a yellow secondary spring in it which was too light. I got one of those Holley secondary spring kits to tune the timing of the opening. I changed the yellow spring out for a heavier brown spring ( 2 steps heavier) to hold off the opening a bit. It worked and made the truck accelerate crisper and much, much smoother - no more hesitation, bog or stumble and pulled to a higher rpm, was like night and day difference.

I actually went down on the jets too from 72 to 70 and my seat of the pants dyno tells me it was the right direction.

AFAIK, your assertion about double pumper carbs working better for heavier vehicles is actually the opposite - DPs generally work better with lighter vehicles. Most of your Street/Truck Avenger type carbs are vacuum secondary.

I will never change my mind about carbs, I can't stand vacuum secondary carbs. Most folks have zero business using one, they just don't understand tuning with them. Where as the double pumpers take much of the tuning out of the equation. I also believe that heavy vehicles generally need a dp carb. My personal experience with carbs is that vacuum secondary carbs are best suited on stock, low performance vehicles.