Hey guys,

I was looking to bump up the power in my 340 and try to get as much as I could out of it for at least a little while before trying to build something else. I barely drive the car and even more rarely race it, but I want something that'll hang with my friend's rides when I do go to the track. I don't mind building something on the extreme side as it sees so few miles anyway.

I'm on a very limited budget with having another project car that I am building, but I came across some w2 heads on the forum that I thought may be a good deal. I'm just not sure if I am opening up a can of worms with them.

right now I have a fully forged 340 with speed pro pistons and mildly ported J heads. The W2's I am looking into are Econo versions and are flowing around 290+CFM at .600 lift. They also come with complete valve train/rockers for .650 lift roller cam and a ported Indy intake.

My questions is, how would these work and what will I need to get them to work on my LA 340?

I know I'll need a bigger carb than what I run now, and I'll have to weld up a new flange to my headers.

What I am more worried about is cam and compression. I am pretty sure the 340 I have now was built with flat top pistons and my C/R is around 9:1 with the J heads. I also have a flat tappet cam. What would I need to do to convert to a roller, and would these heads even do me much good with my current compression?

If it won't cost me an arm and a leg to swap to a roller cam, I don't mind eventually refreshing the short block and having it rebalanced for some higher compression pistons. For now though, I don't really want to get involved with building a new short block.

Thanks and happy new year!

Last edited by 1mean340; 12/31/15 08:42 PM.