If you look at a little history, most of the first organized Drag racing events, even with wally Parks at the helm, were usually run at 1/2 mile or longer lengths. As the cars got faster in the late 40s, tests were conducted to see at what distance the cars could easily accelerate and safely stop, at the facilities they had available. The 1/4 mile was deemed acceptable. Wonder if guys at the time screamed "only 1/2 mile is REAL racing". The 1/4 mile selected at the time was only because that was "acceptable" at the time. Had the cars been faster or facilities more limited, that length could have been even shorter.

The same decision, was made for 1000ft pro racing lately, as the cars simply outgrew many of the available facilities. In the south, where 1/8 mile racing seems to be the norm...........most all those tracks USED to be 1/4 mile. As the speeds increased, the tracks were first shortened to 1000ft and then 1/8 mile.

Many tracks, built in the 50s and early 60s, especially in the south, are simply land locked and had no room to expand as cars got faster. Many are too short NOW for the speeds the faster classes run and cars are only getting quicker. I know tracks around here that are 600ft, a couple are 500ft and I know of one that will only let the REALLY fast cars run to 330ft..........RACERS race, that hasn't changed and never will. If you want to maintain that Drag Racing has ALWAYS been 1/4 mile and if it's not, you won't race............well two things, one you are wrong and two 1/4 mile tracks are being reduced yearly, as the speeds of the cars increase.

1/8 mile racing seems to be so prevalent in the South because of one reason.........there are SO MANY tracks. Many states have just a few tracks altogether and down here they are everywhere and have been for years, which is why they are 1/8 now..........cars got faster. I have 8 tracks within an hour from my house and no telling how many within a few hours. None of those within an hour are 1/4.........they ALL used to be. Within 3 hours, we have 1 that is 1/4, but I can't remember the last time they ran a 1/4 mile event, even though they have the distance. The nearest track to me that runs 1/4 mile much at all is Bowling Green, but that is only larger events. Their weekly program is 1/8 mile as well. I think the same thing is coming for most all 1/4 mile tracks. That distance will be reserved for larger events only.

Many things factor into that decision. One is the sky rocketing cost of insurance, the cost to maintain and operate the track, the speed of the program, clean up times, personnel and about anything else you can think of. Many want to quickly accuse the owners of just padding their pockets..........while that MAY be the case is rare instances, it is usually FAR from the real reason. If you have never been involved in the operation of a track and the costs involved.........you have no idea what it takes to keep the gates open

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 11/03/15 04:34 PM.