Kinda surprised by all the " harder on parts racing 1/4"
I have had really 4 major breakages in my life racing.
Broke a cast crank, let go on the first to second shift and grenaded my 416. Way before 1/8 mile even
Broke a torque convertor at the hit, tore off the ring gear.
Stripped axles, again at the hit.
Tranny went away, noticed it when I left the ET shack
I watch( when I am not racing) at US 131 on many Sat night bracket races. These are on the 1/4 mile most always.
After years and years of watching( large sample size) I bet 90% of the failures I see are before the 330 mark.
You see a car pulled over, it's most always before 1/2 track. Driveshafts, axles, tires, these common failures are usually at the hit or just a little ways out. Nitrous explosions, at or before the hit. Leaking trans, leaking water... Often coming out of the water box or while staging.
Cheap track owners due often to financial reasons don't want to pay the insurance, or pave the track to provide safe 1/4 racing and shutdown. Cheaper to race on 1/8.
Guys are often just politically correct and take what theyhave, not knowing there are better out there.
Grudge racing, drag radial stuff..... I can see 1/8 validity there.
Way more time is taken up allowing buy backs and run for the money stuff( to fluff up promoter/ owner pockets, than running 1/8 mile and waiting for guys to coast out off the gas racing 1/8.
At Martin, there are no turnouts till you come around the corner at the very top end. I takes forever for a typical 11 sec car that lets off at the 1/8 to coast out another near half mile and another pair can stage.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, low 10.30’s 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.56 at 104.17