I hit a big buck one night with the Dakota pulling a trailer on I29 just into South Dakota. $6500. damage to the truck. Set off teh air bag and took out the front end and wrapped the radiator around the fan without breaking the radiator, took out the left door, hood, fenders, cracked the windshield, and kincked the dash. It was cool out and even without the fan turning with a clutch fan I was able to drive the truck home 120 miles at midnight with one head light shining out into the right ditch. It stayed straight as a pin. This was still with a tag trailer using a load distribution hitch which IMO is a must with just about any tow rig towing a tag axle trailer any bigger than a utility trailer. I swore off tags if at all possible. Goosenecks tow so much nicer and are much safer to tow than a tag trailer. Closest I have come to a wreck in all the years of towing was with a dually crew cab in on a city street at about 35 MPH and a car pulled out in front of me on a wet street and I locked it up towing an open flat bed with the car on it. since that time I have made a habit to periodically check the trailer brakes while going down the road. That time the main brake power lead had come loose from the connection. All the lights worked but not the brakes.