This whole thread is nutz. Guys saying they can build 900 with w8-w9's all day long, really. I don't know if you guys pay attention but many of these dyno champs do not even run 150 in a 3000 lb car on good days. A 900 HP build should trip 150 in the worst air. On a good day should run close to 158. If it doesn't either you have a car problem or a dyno operated that is doing something wrong. If same guy built it and took your money he needs a bruised eye.

If you know where the deals are and have some luck you could build for $10k. I did it once with my 457cid in 2000 with 100% American parts. Shops wanted $35,000 to $60,000.

Blocks and good cnc work is where you get creamed. Between Arrington selling me a block for $1,500 and Davis doing the block work I only had $3,000 in the block. Patterson sold heads to me and flat hooked me up on parts. The rockers I got in a trade that cost me $100. Point I'making this just never happens. Five years later I built a 421 cid. The block I got for $600 and did not need the cam tunnel bored and still ended up $10K through a shop. Lucky I had the top end already.

And you wonder why I went R5. Little hard work doing headers, fitting drysump, and an adapter done. People complain about adapter. I designed a bell. Tubular k fits dry sumps. And most people have headers built. 830hp out of a 358. EEI will build 1,000hp for $60,000. I'm sure Frank Lysing and others will do for less. My pockets are not that deep. And my stuff only makes 900 based on mph. But, was cheap for me.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.