I would keep the dist and the valve timing seperate. On the dist if you are at 6/12 then install the dist (rotor) rearward & plug in the #6 wire & if 12/12 then install the dist tang (rotor) forward & plug in the #1 plug wire at that rotor location. for the valves with the plugs out for easier turning I'd get the rotor at each cap location & at that point the valves for that cyl should be on the base circle with the correct cold lash. & with this hand turning you'd wanna regoop the cam & cam failures are epidemic. I ain't sayin they aint' right as is but just throwin thoughts out there for your perusal. However with thousands of $$$ invested & many man hours you have ONE shot to get an excellent cam and ring breakin as opposed to a good breakin or even an average/mediocre one. You want good leakdown numbers. On the valves there are those EO/IC procedures & iirc with cams over 280 duration you want to use the 8 position (MP?) chart. You could cut a strip of paper 5.694" long to use as a ruler on the dampener to go 1/4 turn to the next cyl.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth