So I am trying to get through the final stages of my 416 build and got to checking distributor to make sure I had everything right. During the check, I got a sinking feeling that I set the timing chain up incorrectly.

The cam was installed straight up as recommended by the guy who ported my heads and spec'd the cam. So when I installed the timing chain and sprockets, I 'lined up the dots' - cam sprocket at 6:00, crank sprocket at 12:00. The cam has 2 degrees advance built in.

The question is whether I have the sprockets on right. I started to check the position of the distributor rotor to make sure it was facing #1 on the compression stroke and it is. However, the timing marks are now both at 12:00. While doing this, I started looking at the lash. If it was off, I would think the valves would be in the wrong place to set lash but it was correct. #1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke, set #8 exhaust valve and #2 intake valve.

I do have a vague notion that if the marks were at 6:00 and 12:00, the motor would be ready to fire #6. Is that correct?

Here's a pic of where the marks ended up. Motor is at TDC on compression stroke, both valves closed.

Not sure if you can see but this is a pic of the cam lobes on the base circle.

I put the dampener on to double check. It's at 35 degrees advanced here, firing on #1

Distributor is pointing roughly at the #1 intake valve.

So what happened to the timing marks? The one thing I keep thinking is that I found TDC on the wrong stroke when I put the timing sprockets on. I don't remember looking to see if both cam lobes were on the heel. I think I did it with one lifter and a checking pushrod. I believe I rotated the motor until the #1 intake closed then brought it up to TDC.

So is it OK or do I need to start again? I know I am probably over thinking it but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for any input.

- Greg

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500