Comp's engineering and experience has gotten him through 2 sets of lifters with the same problem. Comp sucks. Like I said people have been pumping up their hydro lifters forever.

I understand what you're saying, and I understand why that could happen in theory. But he wants to fix his noisy lifters, and you are the only person I've ever heard of this happening to, I would guess because a retainer bolt nearest to the pushrod that bent was driven in too far before the others were driven in, side loading the pushrod and causing it to flex, and this was the real cause of the issue. Maybe, maybe not, but with the lifter pumped up to the max really all that should happen is the valve will open as the rocker shaft is tightened down. What you're saying could happen any time a rocker shaft assembly is installed/reinstalled, or even with the lifters not pumped up. You know whats harder to compress than a pumped up lifter? One that the cup is bottomed out in (or a solid lifter). Although the extra clearance of not being pumped up might help.

IMO the only thing a set of freshly pumped up lifters would do is screw with cam timing until they bleed down. I would think that is the reason Comp says not to pump them up, in case you get a valve trying to hang open on initial start up until the lifter bleeds down. I agree that priming the oiling system should also fix the issue, but hydraulic systems with air in them can be difficult to bleed. I'm done debating it and the OP can do as he wishes with the information provided.

OP let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 09/29/15 02:35 AM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street