Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
I don't agree with that formula either. Doesn't seem like it would matter what the cubic inches are. To make power, you need a certain amount of air flow. And as we all know......what works best on the dyno, many times is NOT the best for making the car run at the track

Interestingly, at the engine masters challenge this motor was run with a Holley 950hp on it, which it belted out 477 with. The guy who built the motor is mighty intelligent, but the motor wasn't going down the track on those dyno pulls.
I suspected( and several knowledgable friends of mine agreed) that the car might 60 foot better with a smaller carb on it, and not lose elsewhere with a smaller carb for a net gain.

Thus far, that provably has yet to be the case. Even in the worst air the car has ever been in, it 60 footed it's best ever( this last outing). I have tried timing, next is to play with jetting on this 950. Probably yank 4 out front and back tomorrow after a test pass as it currently is set up, and see what happens. 86/92. HAS to be more jet than I need. We will see.

Edit...... I should add I have now had the timing everywhere on this little motor, I hadn't previously. It's very " timing sensitive. It runs best at 32 degrees, with it there it produced that best 60 foot. The pass before that I had run it at 36, and that slowed it down a whole tenth. Anywhere except 32 it's slower..... That said, I haven't tried 30, but I know going anywhere past 32 at all slows the car down.

Last edited by B3422W5; 09/11/15 02:43 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8