Originally Posted By J_BODY
thinking if one was to stick with the "tab" type mounting system that maybe making it a single piece of steel wrapped around the rear cross bar and welded in place might be the ticket. Only thing about the belts wrapped around the bar is that they do have the capability to move side to side. I have a "hoop" welded on my cage to limit this movement, but it can still happen to a degree. What I want to improve upon is how my Jaz seat is mounted. I just can't see that those four 5/16 mounting points would do a whole lot of good.
For all intents and purposes, how the seat is "mounted" is a non issue, because you will NEVER mount the seat well enough to maintain a driver in the event of a violent crash. It's simple physics. The seat carries all the drivers weight, plus it is a lever. It will NEVER stand on it's own mounting, so no need to try. What you shoot for is to have the belts mounted properly to anchor the seat in the car and stay where it should. As I said before, the seat in our car is carbon fiber, mounted on some small chromoly tubing and is attached to that tubing with Dzus fasteners. Pop 6 fasteners loose and the seat is out. But in the event of a crash, the belts should hold the seat in.

So how your Jaz seat is mounted is fine, as far as the mount, but what you MAY want to consider is some small tubing BEHIND the seat that welds to the crossbar and hugs the shape of the seat down to the floor or bar under seat. A "cradle" that supports the seat and helps keep it in place in the result of a crash.

Swinger..........parts break off cars during a crash. The picture above shows a Camaro minus the whole rear. CUP cars have tethers on parts to keep them from going in the stands. Top Fuel cars break in half. You CAN'T build a crash proof car that nothing breaks off. What DOES matter is if the drivers compartment stays intact. Dave's did. So regardless of what your expert opinion may be, that passes as a well built car. To survive numerous barrel rolls, the car essentially intact, cage not collapsed on the driver and no tubing ripped out.

I can pretty much gurantee the bottle brackets I build would not stay in our car in a crash that violent.............Not many if any will.