Originally Posted By Darius
The tone rings actually mount on the "bulb" like end of the half shaft in the newer rear ends. There is no place like it or even the same diameter on the end of an 8 3/4 axle, just a flat flange, PLUS that flange is right up against the axle housing so still, no room for the tone ring. The TCM I bought supplied a tone ring to mount on the output shaft of the transmission.
I spoke with engineers that work in the engine and transmission programming dept at Chrysler and they told me there is no solution that THEY could make happen so I would be very interested in talking to whatever rep you spoke with. I think we might be talking about two different applications here.
I installed an Autometer speedometer.

That pic you posted is cool. That would be an easier swap than what I did for sure, however, all that does is make it easier to install the trans and drive shaft assembly. It does nothing to resolve the computer communication issue.

You are correct about the control issue. The tone ring you talk about is a combination ABS speedo sensor, that's why I suggested using the ABS ring inside the third member(between gear and carrier). I talked with a knowledgable guy about these problems, 5.7- nag trans up at Carlisle. On the engine he said look for a controller off a 2005 car or truck very easy to reprogram and those early years might be good for the trans since they where less connected but didn't know for sure. Does the tone ring-sensor on trans output allow you to change gear ratios easily? That's how that can of worms started with the Charger. Control box was programmed with a 2.62 ratio and someone had replaced the rear with an aftermarket SRT 3.05 ratio, which came with a flash box to reprogram but was lost when car was sold to dealer, of course they reflashed the trans and all was lost. After a lot of back and forth the rep came down to see why it was going into limp mode( put in three trans searching for cause). That's when he said the sensor inside trans has to coincide with the one on the haft shaft, in fact all four, and since they weren't, limp mode. He said tires have to be within stock size also. We pulled trans apart and there was the sensor, dead center, reading off drum. Rep was getting his info direct from home office, dealer guys had no clue. We ended up putting a complete junk yard stock rear, worked perfect. If your guy can figure this out then I say he's a smart dude. Hope Hope