Originally Posted By Steve1118
Finally, Chuck, the voice of reason. Although not a proponent of diapers, I would think that 9.99 might be a more reasonable number.

I have been watching this thread....Ronnie & I host a monthly Nostalgia deal at PRP, and it's been fairly successful in getting some of the old race cars out of the garage, at least once a month. Most are not hard core racers, but old racers with old Maxies, 409s, etc.

I know that telling these guys they'd have to put a diaper on their 11.30 Maxie vintage race car would cause them to just roll right back into the garage and slam the door, again. In my case, with a Hemi B body, I'd probably finally just park it and head to nostalgia shows because, to be frank, for me it just would not be worth the hassle and nightmare of putting one on. Some of us have been doing this for 30, 40+ years without one, and would not do it because some 19 year old kid with a turbocharged 6 cylinder that revs to the moon comes apart when he pushes the nitrous button. I've made literally thousands of passes since 1969, and really could walk away from active racing tomorrow. When one reaches a certain age bulls##t comes a bit less tolerant.

Personally, I think this smacks of the two year belt rule, and others that seem to be designed to help contingency sponsors. All of a sudden we will find "ABC Company" has the "approved" diaper, and BTW just happens to post contingency money.

You guys are using your head, Chuck. BTW.....in a shameless plug, the next Bud's Auto Sales Nostalgia Combo Eliminator is scheduled for Friday, June 17. You can check the site, or check the facebook page.

Steve, be afraid if I'm the voice of reason. laugh I'm just passing along the info D42 posted.

I agree with you that the ET cutoff was way too high. Like you said, a couple simple bolt ons on a new Challenger, Charger, Mustang, Camaro, etc, and they're deep into the 11s. Pretty hard to put a diaper or pan on one of those cars.

And a lot of oil downs are like you describe, someone not caring how bad they are pushing the limits. I also believe a lot of oil downs are from transmissions - way too many shortcuts taken in trans lines.

But, if you race often, regardless of ET, I think a diaper is a good idea. Monte is correct, so many will spend the money on bling, or to go a few hundreths quicker, so the money aspect shouldn't be a concern. Parts fail, regardless of how well you build something, maintain it, drive it. I kicked a rod into the oil pan at the top of first gear end of 2012 at PRP. I got it pulled over and stopped with no worries. Had it been at the top of 2nd, or 3rd, it would have been a ride, I fear. And that's going 12.20s. I will have a diaper or pan on. Ask Mike Kelly, with the Palindrome Barracuda, how much he values his diaper. He lost the engine shortly before the 1/4 mile stripe.