Hey everyone, I have posted here before regarding various 340 combos. I have learned a lot about the ideal setup I would like to build for my car, but other car/life projects have gotten in the way and I am looking for something to make my 70 challenger a little more competitive with the friends modern muscle cars at the track for the time being.

I am on a VERY tight budget, and plan on building something much better in the very distant future, but I figured if I could use what i've got to make a bit more power then I could have a little more fun with the car.

What I have now- 340 bored .030 over. Steel crank from a 69 340, Eagle H beam rods, Speed Pro flat top pistons, J heads with a tiny bit of port work, .480/.480 230/230 cam, street avenger 670 carb. I'll be installing 4:10's in the rear by the end of the summer. Unsure of the exact compression, but I am fairly sure it is probably (much) lower than 10:1

My plan- I have a Victor Jr. (maybe a Victor, forget which) stored in my garage that a friend gave me. My plan was to find some ported Eddy heads and a 750cfm double pumper for sale on the boards, spec out a bigger cam and put it all together with the Victor intake to make more power on a tight budget. I also have a full aeromotive A1000 fuel system (overkill, but should work) lying around with braided lines and all for a 19 foot long car, so I can install all of that and put a 100 shot plate system on it if I feel like pushing my luck.

Is it even worth doing all of this with the flat top pistons though? I believe the Eddy heads will bump me up a tiny bit from the J heads due to their chamber size, and if I can find a milled set then even better. What do you guys think? How much power can be made with the flat tops? If I can find the heads and carb for the prices I have seen them going for, I think I can cover this whole build for less than $1000 after selling my old parts if I don't have to touch the bottom end.

Last edited by 1mean340; 06/25/15 03:02 PM.