Originally Posted By cjskotni
Quote:
Super isn't $1.18 more a gallon so unless super ain't doing it for you it's cheaper to run super.

This is with running super pump gas 93 octane from Mobile 1.

My cam is very mild for my application. It is a comp cams 21-223-4 which is advertised with a stock stroke to have a power band of 1600-5800RPM's. I already have .055" head gaskets and Eddy aluminum heads. I don't know what else I can do to get the SCR down besides changing pistons which I ain't going there.

I know many here have gotten 10.4:1 stroker motors with aluminum heads to work fine on premium pump. I would think maybe this mild cam is hurting a bit here as it can't "bleed" off that compression very well...

I was thinking of going to a roller setup eventually to pull a bit more from the motor and make it a bit more resilient with modern oil. I just wanted to get the car running reliably for awhile before I went back into the motor. I have spent the better part of two years since I sprung the car from body shop Hades, chasing vapor lock and other various issues.

I know this can be done without changing the rotating assembly, using race gas, methanol, etc. I think the only thing left here is the cam.

Quote:
One of our left coast members either Mick or Frankeduster (iirc) way back had a nightmare going that route

Yes, I remember that saga last year? I seem to remember he was running iron heads though and started off with considerably more cam than I currently have. Yes, I think about poor Frankenduster whenever I think about going to another cam shaft. :laughs:

When I had my car dyno'ed the guy said the engine wanted more cam for sure. He said I'm probably leaving 80-100 crank hp on the table with my mild flat tappet cam vs. a roller. The car otherwise has the drivetrain that would like more cam (2400 stall, 3.55 gear, hi compression motor).

Bottom line is I'd rather shell out for a better camshaft and upgrade the engine than be a slave to race gas. I have done some calling around and the closest place that sells race gas is 25 miles and through congested areas. I'd burn half a tank of gas to get there and back. If I had a source of race gas (or even non-ethanol premium) within 10 miles, I'd suck it up. I have been looking at getting pails shipped and at $60-70 for 5 gallons + ship, I think I'd rather save my $$ for the cam swap...if that will fix this problem for good.

Who talked you into running that much compression?

"a better camshaft"... It's not that your cam is bad or good. It's about meeting your needs, criteria and other parts. Throwing a "roller" at it is not going to solve you problem. Lowering your DCR will. Whether is a flat tapped hyd, flat tappet solid, roller, whatever.

Your current cam has an intake ABDC of 60 deg. The XE274 is 63 deg and the XE284 is 68. XE275HL is 64 and XE284HL is 69 deg.

Anything bigger than those 284's might not be a match the rest of your system (3.55's 2400 stall, etc). They will also need more skill and personal attention to keep in tune. Even the 284 might bring some issues.

What's your current DCR? http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php