Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Originally Posted By gregsdart
I was hoping to read they had developed a new 14.5 x 15 radial. I tried them back in 2004 and like everybody says, they can really hurt consistency on on poorly prepped track. My log book shows a best of 1.262 and a worst of 1.342 , and a string of those to boot. On top of that, I was lifting often because the car would oscillate side to side so bad I should have lifted on more than half the runs. You couldn't drive it out either, the only help was to get off the throttle.

That is odd, as a radial has a stiffer sidewall which is better for stability. I have never run a tire that wide, but with the 28&29 10.0 tires I run the radial is nite and day better on the big end.

I do know that on my 63 I have a standard street radial tire up front and when I went to the radial slick over the bias Hoosier QTP tire my 63 handled better all around and had no walking at all on the top end. I love how good it handles on the radials on all four corners. Course I knew I was mixing the bias QTP tires with my front radials before but I was surprised how much better it handled. Maybe with all the power the SS/AH cars make it has something to do with their wobbling problem. I remember seeing Bucky Hess's car do that at Maple Grove a few years back but I really dont know what tires he had on the back of it that day. Ron