I have had some issues with my 2013 2500 6.7 Cummins, BUT, I really like the mileage.

I haven't weighed my trailer yet, but it is 9' tall with a 28' box, Onan 4K RV generator, roof AC, and fully decked out interior. I generally carry the car, 15gal race fuel, 11gal generator fuel, 5 gal of water, the quad, and tools/spare parts. Add to that the luggage and other items for a weekend of racing and it adds up.

It is a crew cab, short wheel base 4x4 loaded Laramie with the 3:42 gear.

Last year with the truck still fairly new I pulled from Houston to St. Louis for the Victory NSS opener. That run was made with ~600lbs less weight than this year. It averaged 10mpg over the entire trip. This year, with ~ 600lbs more weight, it averaged 13mpg for the trip. We tried to maintain 65 to 68mph on the freeways.

For this years St. Louis trip, I was wagon training with a friend that has a 2012 (No DEF) rear wheel drive only Cummins 3500 dually with the 3:73 gear. He was pulling a 26' trailer with a heavier race car, but no quad and less on board fuel. He burned significantly more fuel than I did, and on the hills I found I had to kick out of cruse because he was loosing 1-2 MPH where mine was maintaining speed. I believe he averaged 9.5mpg for the trip.

My truck is one of the DEF trucks, and I believe it makes more power than his does. I also believe that one of the software updates the dealer did over the last year (there were several) made a difference in my mileage both in and out of town. It now has just under 44k on the clock.

I drive quite a bit on the Houston freeways which could be moving at 5mph or 80mph. Last week I drove just under 700 miles and the farthest from the city was Galveston. Everything else was in town. I made a solid 17mpg for that tank. When we made the trip home to Louisiana with the wife and kids running empty, it made 21.5mpg.

I am much happier with this one than my old 2001 Cummins. The fit, finish, ride, and quiet cab are a welcome change. I am not so happy with the recalls, leaking rear end, and electrical issues I have had. If this last round to the dealer finally straightened out everything then I plan on keeping it as long as my old one which now has 300k on the clock.

The new 6.4 Hemi trucks look like they may be a nice package. The mileage numbers are impressive for a gasser, but I would still have a hard time giving up my diesel for one.

I have seen lots of new 2500's here in the Houston area sporting the Hemi. They seem to be everywhere now days, where just a few years ago if you saw a 2500, you could almost guarantee it was a diesel. Something has definitely changed peoples minds about them.

Rhino I know you have not had the best of luck with Cummins truck, and have many many more miles behind the wheel of them. What is the main reason you are looking at a gasser? Price? Fuel Cost? Less long haul runs these days? Or maybe some other reason??? Just curious.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com