Originally Posted By 5thAve
Originally Posted By Supercuda
Cop spec M bodies had an electrical part throttle unlock solenoid that allowed the TC to unlock based on throttle input. Lockup functioned just like the civilian version.

This would be the only case in an M body that would have had anything electrical to do with lockup. Right up to 1989 the only thing non-cop ones have is the neutral safety switch and everything else is done within the transmission itself.

I dont remember on the M body as I would have to look in the service manual and look at the trans flow chart and wireing. They may have still had a carb on them. Pretty much everything fuel injected after 1988 had the electronic solenoid controlled lock-up. It was better to let the controller (PCM) work the solenoid to control lock-up as the PCM could moniter everything real easy like MAP vacum , eng speed and temp , vehicle speed and TPS posistion so it made it easy for the PCM to know when the lock-up should be on and it was just a simple ground the PCM controlled to control the lock-up conveter. Alot of them used the relay that the PCM controlled to send 12 volts to the lock-up solenoid. And it does not matter what the relay was call as.... part throttle unlock or lock-up solenoid as it always controlled turning the lock-up conveter on and off. You can see it very easy if you look at the flow charts I posted. Its really a very simple system. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 04/17/15 02:26 PM.