Originally Posted By slammedR/T
Mark Hedrix here in town has a very good maghine shop and very good reputation for building top of the line engines here in the northeast Florida area. I talked to him about AV gas two years back as my buddy Michael Williams insited on running it in his pro street 434 stroker s-10. Mark said he also had some customers who swore by the av gas and decided to test it against C16 on his engine dyno. The engine was a 14.5:1 632 big cheif BBC he was building for a customer wanting to run the gas in his mud truck. He tested both fuels in this motor on his engine dyno and told me the c16 only made 5hp more than the av gas and the av gas had no signs of detonation or funny burn patterns. He was surprised how well the fuel actually performaed. He said the only thing he recommends with av gas is add a bottle of lead additive as the av gas is "Low Lead" whihc is what the LL stands for. Also the 100LL here at Herlong airport and that he tested with is more around 110-112 octane. Ran it for two years in buddy S-10 which was a 14.0:1 motor with two stage 400shot of nitrous and never had any issues. As stated you just drive up to the pump with jugs or a drum and fill up with a credit card. Just don't try to fill a car with it at the pump, legally that isn't allowed and will ask you to leave and come back with fuel jugs for your airplane or offroad equipment you are putting it in "wink,wink"

I have taken table spoons of lead out of the plugs when cleaning them, Low Lead is a misnomer, there is about 3 times as much lead in 100LL than what car gas used to contain. I run 10-25% 100LL with alcohol free gas to keep from lead fouling plugs. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!