Quote:

Quote:

ok fellows. the shims were made out of soft copper so that it would conform to the pedestal. now these heads needed the rocker shaft raised up .120" the get the roller tip to travel in the correct arc, without them the tip was at the inside of the valve tip and wouldn't even ride close to the center during it's travel. this happened only on the center pedestal which is the tall one, about 3 times taller than the others. when dan did the valve job on the heads he did find the middle pedestal cracked on the other head and repaired it, sharp eye i must say. the pedestal in the pic is the middle one on the unrepaired head , ther was no visable sign of of crack and it broke when i started to torque them and that happened at a mere 20ft.lbs. the other head where dan repaired the pedestal made it to full torque fine. the owner does have a stud kit for the heads and will use it now that the rocker arms are all shimed side to side correctly, even using the studs i have to assume it would have broke anyway. so with due respect to everyone did the heads have the wrong valves in them from the gitgo because the previous owner had ground the underside of the rockers for clearance on the top of the retainers. something was wrong for sure for the pedestals to be .120" too low. the valves seats do not appear to have been sunk excessively, especially somewhere in the .080" range. to correct all this the pedestal will need repaired and the others all raised up .120" to get everything happy. i have full faith in dan's abilities to accomplish this repair.

Bob,as old as these heads are,who knows what they have been subjected to in their past history.I don't think anyone questioned Dan's ability here.

this statment is a non-issue here because no one is questioning it and i truely feel dan is the man to fix this problem.

Last edited by bOb shingler; 12/24/08 06:12 PM.