It was great that "Rat" was willing to do that test. Unfortunately, a combination of his personality and blindness to other factors turned most of the speedtalk threads into p*ss*ng contests.

Although I am concerned about wear, my own opinion has shifted to placing first priority on getting the right viscosity for the application. Along with the pressure gage, an oil temperature sensor is really helpful for this. I have one in the oil pan that fit the drain plug (although I've moved it to the side now). Last I looked VDO no longer makes that version. Too bad 'cause it was convenient.

Here's what I found most useful on the web:
A. E. Haas's Short course on oil viscosity. I think this originally was posted on a Ferrari forum. For me it was easiest to read by cutting and pasting into Word. I also drew the graphs he describes because I prefer pictures.

Richard Widman's Oil Selection Paper (pdf) download from this webpage. Although written for street driven Covair's, its easy enough to apply the information supplied to any racing or street/strip uses. After reading this, its obvious that Rat's testing is useful but not sufficient.

Widman also has an on-line oil weight temperature-viscosity graphing tool. Pretty nifty.

So, currently I'm running Brad Penn in the car and T6 in the Wagoneer because they offer good flat tappet anti-wear packages in the viscosity ranges I needed.

Last edited by Mattax; 12/26/14 05:45 PM.