Quote:

My dad insulated his single car garage and didn't have much money left over to spend on a heater so he bought a 230v 18,000BTU portable contstruction heater. These past few days have been about the coldest it ever gets here and that heater gets the garage up to 50-55F so it's not bad at all, not super hot but very workable in a sweater and an extra pair of pants. He said some guru calculated the cost of that thing to be about 23 cents an hour. And you're only heating it while you're working in there so I don't think he'd ever spend more than 15 bucks a month heating that garage.

This is exactly what I am using,230V/30A 18000 BTU portable and it does seem to be working well. I dont have any propane to buy, no poisonous gases,no kerosene to buy or smell. I just set the thermostat, and it works by itself. With the propane heater that I already returned, the propane canisters cost me 6 dollars for 2 one lb cans, which last for 6 hours total. So I dont think the electric will be that much more to operate. The biggest obstacle was installing the breaker, 10ga wire, and 30A receptacle. Thankfully I have some electrical experience and was able to install this stuff myself in about 2.5 hours. Still a pain though, crawling in the garage attic in 35 degrees.