Quote:

I bought an electric heater from Grainger (18000) BTU, only catch was, (and I was avoiding)I had to install a 240v/30 outlet plus a 30 amp breaker. Now the garage stays at about 55 degrees while I'm not working out there and I can turn the thermostat up and get it to stay at 65 degrees while working. It only took 30 minutes to move from 45 to 60 degrees. Just wanted to follow-up to anyone who is still having problems.

I need to do something like this. My garage is 24x40 and insulted so I'm wondering what size I would need to heat it kind of like yours. 18000 BTU's enough? Thanks.

Actually, all three electric heaters I purchased were rated in BTU'S not kwatts. Its good to compare BTUS's when comparing propane with electric. The It dosent matter what it stands for as long as you know that 18000 BTU's is rated to heat a 500 square foot space. I leaned this the hard way by going cheap at first with the 5000 BTU heaters. It wasnt until I purchased the 18000 BTU propane heater that I realized the difference in heating potential. My garage is only a 20 x 20 = 400 square feet but I oversized the heater slightly so it wouldn't run as often. Like I said I went to three different stores, and returned three heaters until I got the right match. this heater is only 16" by 12" by 12". My garage is insulated as well. However your garage is 960 square feet. Its easy to figure out what heater size you need just go to the grainger web site and read the descriptions. They will tell how many BTU's the heaters are and what size garage they will heat. You might want to get two smaller units and heat from opposite directions.