I talked on the phone with cass a number of times while building it. When i was setting the bearing preload i used the entire stack of shims he sent me and it was still to high (i think like 40-50 in lbs)
I called and he sent me another shim pack, but said he has never had to use more than 1 shim pack. I double checked that the races were fully seated and measured numerous times with a snap on dial torque wrench. I was convinced the bearing preload was too much and added 1 more shim to pull it into range. Yes i think i set it at right around 30 in-lbs as the book i had said 25-35 in-lbs for new bearings.
Is there a chance my yolk is too loose on my new pinon splines and that is causing it to loosen up? I have a hard time believing the bearing "wore in" that much.

I do think i put the nut on and off like 3 times trying to get the shim stack right. That might have been my problem. When i set it up this time i'm definetly going to use the old one, and then when i do my final torque i'll put a brand new one on.
Anyone know the part number for a pinion nut that i can get locally?