I recently did my first rear end rebuild. It was a 742 cased aftermarket geared 3.55 clutch type sure grip. I put in new bearings, clutch pack, gears and seals. I bought books and read all about it for months. I put it in and had no issues for about 100 miles. I drove it to the track planning to take the car down the 1/4 mile, but started hearing some noise from the rear end. Mainly when i was turning at slow speed and sometimes some clunking. I thought at first that it was just the new tight clutches slipping, but after a while it had me concerned. The car also was acting a little weird going through sweeping corners on the highway like a little vibration in the steering wheel. I pulled the driveshaft and checked the u-joints (both are new) and they seem to be ok. Then i pulled the axles, but couldn't really look at them as i don't have a press to pull them off. I figured i was that far so i went ahead and pulled the pumpkin as well. I'd like to find someone in the OKC area who is familiar with these 8 3/4 rear ends to verify the specs of my build while dismantling (backlash and pinion depth) and make sure there is no damage, and then reassemble.

I'll pay extra if they let me hang around and see if/where i screwed up.
To this point i don't know what the problem was. I don't see any catastrophic failure and the wear on the gears look good (to my untrained eye)

Know of anybody that can help?

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 09/29/14 11:36 PM.