Quote:

Quote:

Holes in pretty much anything are evil stress risers, avoid them.

I know of a set of drilled rotors that didn't even make it 10k miles before cracking. Yeah, they were home drilled about 20 years ago. Don't care, no drilled for me. Those that want them know that I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Now I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Holes cast into the rotor during manufacturing do not promote stress fractures.
Holes drilled into rotors after casting will lead to fractures.

That's been proven through the years.

The holes provide limited outgassing, reduce weight, and save raw materials. They also look sporty to some people. That's why they get used.

Sometimes performance oriented auto manufacturers investigate things a wee bit more thoroughly than internet keyboard warriors.

Now, would you like to revise that statement?

I was a wilwood R&D Engineer for 2 years and have been crew in many forms of racing for over 20 years. After wilwood I spent 7 years in R&D with ecomotors.com. Keyboard warrior I am not.

I guess we're both laughing. No known metal rotor has those holes cast into them, even if they are those with cast-in holes they are still stress risers. If nothing else, review "Engineer to Win". That they were drilled as opposed to being formed by some other method is a small part of the total picture. Anything that changes the stress flow path or disrupts it is a stress riser.

Quote:

Quote:

I think we are splitting hairs here, a hole, drilled or cast, is a stress riser compared to no hole, period.

The king of splitting hairs comments about others splitting hairs?

Obviously, rotors with holes are inferior to non-holed rotors. That's why you'll never see them on supercars costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

OOPS!! I misspoke. That car cost a couple million dollars, runs 250+ mph, and has zero engineering behind it.
Stupid VW! What were they thinking?

As previously stated, drilled rotors are put on those cars for the buyers, because they think they're cool. Not because they're a better solution. Marketing trumps Engineering & Science every time. So those rotors prove nothing about actual performance. Can you prove that those cars set their high water marks wearing drilled rotors? We all know that they're sold with them, proves nothing. Most real Engineers have a bit better grasp of things than keyboard engineers.

I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right thru them.