Thanks Mike, got it.!
I'll get into it this week and report back.

Quote:

Art, so there's no confusion on either behalf,

With the drum off, adjust the star adjuster so the pads are out as much as possible to allow the drum to fit, attach drum/wheel assy, then pump the pedal once to center the shoes, while turning/rotating/spinning the wheel/drum (fronts with wheel off ok, rears need the wheel bolted on, or a nut(s) hold the drum in place, I prefer the wheels on) adjust the brakes with an adjuster "spoon" until you just hear a slight contact, then pump the brakes again to further center the shoes, spin the wheel/drum assy again until you hear slight contact, then repeat, pump/spin/adjust until the contact is barely heard/felt and any amount of pumping and centering the brake shoes yeilds the same results, then proceed to the next wheel...then road test, see what you get?

FYI, it's your choice, but back in the day when I worked in the shop, common practice on drum brake install was to bevel the outer edge of the shoes linings with a quick pass of a grinder so that the linings would make full contact with the drum(s) rather than the edge of the lining, which after it quickly wore would result in some of the issues you've mentioned, just thought I'd mention it so you can save the time of pulling the wheels again...

Mike

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle