Thanks so much for your input guys -

RRobert, thankfully no, the brakes from He** were on the '67 which turned out to be inoperative advance on one rear side (to be specific, the cable to the advance "blade" got hung up at the top centering post, making it too short to affect the advancer's cog wheel).

Copper Dart,
Quote:

The most recent was in a '02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport ( drum rear ) the first few brake applications were, as you said, scary. The slightest braking would result in a severe locking up of the rear brakes, and I mean just touching the brake pedal. The cars are typically left overnight for other repairs and the locking issue would diminish by the time we pulled them into the service bay… I say all this to let you know that it's not too rare of an issue.

Thanks this is a precise description of my problem. SUPER sensitive. But just on one side. Then it goes away. I know you don't have a solution, but thanks for informing me I am not alone, LOL.

I took the car out this morning and it takes no more than 2-3 brake applications for the problem to go away.

I'll start investigating the rear passenger side (opposite the one that locks), and see if the shoe is retarded too far off the drum, if shoe sizes are oriented correctly, then maybe replace the rear brake cylinders. I'll post pics if I see something worth sharing.

Now if I can just get a babysitter for my three boys this afternoon….
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle