Quote:

Well, actually the 200VDC I am talking about was the input voltage at the + connection. I actually remember a 400+ number as well, but whatever it was, it was huge!

When you think about it most coils in the standard ign with a dist have the coils primary and secondary windings hooked together at some point. Most I have seen hook together right as the pos primary wire goes into the coil. They join there on many and then the primary winding goes thhrough its windings on the outside of the secondary windings and then the primary wire goes out the neg coil terminal. The secondary goes through its windings inside of the primary windings and then to the center of the coil tower to fire the plugs. And since the primary are hooked at one point and the secondary windings generate over 20,000 volts it does not seem to far fetched to figure the primary winding volts to read higher then the 12 volts when the secondary winding is fireing the plug. Some of the high voltage may bleed to the primary winding and that may be why your son saw over 200 volts with the eng running at the primary coil pos terminal. Now of course not all coils hook the primary and secondary winding at any point like distibutor less ign with coil packs. On them both ends of the secondary windings go to a plug and does not hook to the primary winding anywhere. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/24/14 12:32 AM.