Quote:

Msd ignitions have a inverter power supply which steps 12v up to a regulated 300volts it's then timed with the coil to pulse on for a period of a couple of nano or micro seconds seconds, cant remember which off the top of my head as opposed to fractions of a second with a regular coil points.
The combined time the coils on for verses the voltage applied equals the total power consumed by the coil
So Msd's ignitions matched with coil puts out heaps higher voltage and current but for a shorter duration

Yes that is true. If you look at the coil wireing on an MSD system both the primary coil wires (pos & neg) go to the MSD box. The pos does not come from a ballast like a stock unit as thats so they can control the voltage in the coil primary and out to the ground through the MSD unit. And they can make it multi-spark when they want it to. I was just curious if anyone had run their car with the ballast bypassed on the basic Mopar electronic ign ? My thoughts are the coil or ECU may burn out and I was surprised to see a Mopar mag suggest that but I thought I heard some say they did it. It will give a hotter spark with 12 volts at the coil pos primary terminal with the eng running instead of the 5 to 7 that its gets through the ballast. So I was curious if anyone has done it. Ron