Quote:

...With 80's honda manual transmissions, it was very common to see 5th gear burned out. The Common cause was adding gear oil instead of using the recomended 10w30 motor oil. The gear oil was too thick to make it out to 5th gear. The teeth would disintigrate....

A low oil level would do the same thing, too. Replaced a couple of 5th gear sets where someone had let 'em get low.

IMHO, running low on oil, hi temp on oil, or over-long intervals on oil is usually worse than using the "wrong" oil.
Quote:

...I was thinking when I seen that that it might have been done to solve a problem. Like how they used to add sawdust to the atf.

I've never heard of putting sawdust in an auto; I know guys would do it to quiet a noisy stickshift, but, I'd imagine that it doesn't do a torque convertor, clutches/bands, front pump, etc. any favors.

I've also put type F into 727's to make 'em apply clutches faster. I even ran a 50/50 mix of straight 30 and type F to crutch years of life out of an AT in a Geo Metro (yeah, baby!) that was starting to slip. The different friction characteristics stopped the slipping for at least three years until I sold the car.

-bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?